What are EMF, RF and ELF?
EMF stands for Electro Magnetic Fields. There are two types of EMF’s - ELF (extremely low frequency fields) and RF (Radio Frequency fields). They are both used pervasively in our modern environment. ELF’s are produced by all electronic devices. RF’s are non-ionizing radiation signals produced to communicate with antennas including cell phone, WI-Fi and Bluetooth.
How do EMF’s relate to human cell function?
Our cells have an electrical charge. Cell-to-cell signaling and changes in cell structure and function occur when there are very small changes in the electrical charge on the surface of the cell. The electrical potential of our cells is extremely small compared to the electrical fields in our environment. EMF’s activate voltage gated calcium channels on the membrane of the cells. When we are in the presence of strong electrical fields, our cells have to invest energy in maintaining their electrical gradients. This diverts resources away from other processes including immune response and cellular repair.
Is there any evidence that these fields are harmful for human health?
Extensive research indicates that EMF exposure is likely carcinogenic. Unfortunately, many people have attempted to claim that EMF exposure is not harmful because they have only looked at the thermal effects of the devices. Pulse modulated signals, produced by cell phones, have no impact on tissue temperature but still have a biological effect on cells, tissues and organs. (C. Blackman, Pathophysiology.) In addition to EMF’s being carcinogenic, they negatively impact the endocrine system, the reproductive system, the neurological system, the immune system and cardiovascular system. They damage DNA leading to genetic defects. EMF’s also cause fatigue by damaging mitochondria, the organelles responsible for energy production in the cells. Accelerated aging occurs in EMF exposed individuals because of an accumulation of excess nitric oxide in the cells caused by activation of the voltage gated calcium channels.
What are the symptoms that can be experienced by sensitive individuals?
Common symptoms worsened or caused by EMF include fatigue, infertility, brain fog, neuropathy, headaches, heart arrhythmias, anxiety, learning difficulties, memory problems and insomnia. There has been a spike in cases of Alzheimer’s disease, autism, depression, fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, osteoarthritis and sleep apnea – these increases are occurring as the EMF exposure simultaneously increases in our environment.
Practical solutions to our modern environment?
- Discontinue the use of CFL’s in the home (Switch to incandescent, there is conflicting information about LED’s).
- Place the WI-FI router as far as possible away from people, especially in the sleeping location. Get a faraday cage for the router.
- Cell phones should be a minimum of 12 feet away while sleeping. Ideally, these would also be placed in a faraday cage.
- Unplug all devices from the electrical outlets in the bedrooms.
- Turn off all fuses to the home at night.
- Wear EMF protective clothing during the day.
- Consider Earthing technology for computer and sleep locations.
What are the best resources that you know of to learn more about EMF dangers and purchase tools to reduce exposure?
- Magdahavas.com – many articles discussing EMF impact on human health
- LessEMF.com – great resource for EMF shielding clothing and devices
- Earthing.com – tools to bring healthy frequencies to the body